What tests are carried out by the laboratory?
The main sample processed by the laboratory is blood, however all other body
fluids are also tested. The histology department also handles biopsies and tissue
samples are carried out by the pathologists (in 2003 the laboratory performed
The laboratory handles all the standard routine tests,
e.g. full blood count, cholesterol testing, bioprofile, and
offers a fast turnaround time. The laboratory staff are always
happy to advise on the selection and interpretation of tests.
In addition to routine assays the laboratory offers a number
of specialised services:
- Phlebotomy Service available to inpatients and outpatients.
- Autologous Transfusion is available to a patient who
is undergoing elective surgery. The patient can donate
blood in advance of the operation to ensure he/she will
receive his/her own blood.
- Warfarin Clinic provides a same day service for patients
to have their blood taken and their drug dosage assessed
and adjusted if necessary.
- VISA Screens for people travelling to countries which
require evidence of HIV/hepatitis B status.
- Andrology Clinic assesses male fertility.
- Allergy Screening consisting of both skin testing and
blood testing (RAST test) to determine the causative
agents of asthma, eczema, food intolerance, etc.
- Sweat Test is used to diagnose cystic fibrosis
- Cervical Cytology Screening